Common Core Curriculum: DID YOU KNOW……………
- With the exception of a few states (Alaska, Nebraska, Texas, Virginia) your Governor agreed to Common Core before the standards were written?
- Common Core is NOT state led?
- Schools must adhere to the program word for word, with the ability to ADD only a small amount of content—but that additional content will not be on the exam?
- If you do not like what is being taught, neither you nor any official in the state will have any power to change it or anyone to call?
- No one really knows how much Common Core will cost in the future?
- The estimated extremely high cost of Common Core will rest on the backs of the taxpayers?
- Common Core will require massive upgrades in computer equipment and upgrades to current bandwidth?
- Even though the federal government said the program was voluntary, Tennessee has to adopt Common Core to be eligible for Race To The Top and President Obama has said he wants to tie federal Title 1 funding to adoption of Common Core?
- While Common Core was advertised as “internationally benchmarked” it is not?
- The federal government requires the state to maintain a database on every child from P-K to workforce and encouraged collection of over 400 data points to track everything about your child AND their family?
- The federal government by law is not allowed to maintain a national database? They are evading this law by requiring the state to collect the data and then forward it to the federal government to be used by other agencies and private foundations?
- Common Core math teaches an experimental geometry method created by a Soviet mathematician, in the 1950’s, that was abandoned in K-12 because it failed?
- A world-renowned math expert who worked on Common Core stated that Common Core fails to meet the stated goal of improved US K-12 mathematic achievement?
- Dr. Stotsky (member of Common Core validation team) considers Common Core ELA and reading standards as “simply empty skill sets”?
- At least in grades 6-12 English teachers would be required to spend at least 50% of their time on nonfiction and informational texts such as US political documents, court decisions and scientific and technical manuals?
- English teachers would need to be retrained in order to teach children how to read technical manuals instead of works of literature?
- Dr. Milgram of Stanford University, the only mathematician on the Common Core validation team, refused to sign off on the math standards?
- A radical professor who has been a colleague of, and is a favorite of, anti-capitalist terrorist Bill Ayers is directing the creation of one set of Common Core tests?
- The Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation is a major funder? What do they know about education? They sure know how to sell computers, though.
- Bill Gates’ Microsoft and many other companies are bound to benefit handsomely from the implementation of Common Core?
- A child could answer a math question correctly but be marked wrong because he did not use the Common Core prescribed method for getting to the correct answer?
- SAT testing is being structured to conform to Common Core? This would mean the home schoolers, private school and charter schools will have to conform to Common Core as well?
- Children as young as kindergarten will eventually participate in the evaluation of a teacher’s performance?
- The testing costs under Common Core may be triple what Tennessee is currently incurring?
- Although Common Core claims to prepare all children for college, the college they talk about is a nonselective community college not a 4-year university?
- Our children may graduate reading at a 7th grade level and a Common Coreording to Dr. Milgram, by 8th grade, will be two years behind other countries in math skills?
- Children could be required to select a career path as early as middle school or even elementary school?
Call your Governor, state Representative and state Senator today!
Demand they stop implementing Common Core.